What is a DoFollow?
To better understand the difference between NoFollow and DoFollow, you may also want to read the following posts –
First of all, DoFollow is not a tag. DoFollow simply means that when you take out the rel=”nofollow” tag in your links or in your comments, search engines will crawl the links thus giving them some of your link juice. The NoFollow tag is a code that tells search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing to not follow, disregard or totally ignore links found on your site.
A lot of sites I know have set their blogs to DoFollow. This blog’s comment has been a DoFollow for a month now. So far so good.
To set your Blogger blog to DoFollow:
- Go to Layout and click EDIT HTML then you must DOWNLOAD a copy of your FULL TEMPLATE first before editing anything on your html. In case something went wrong, you can easily upload it again.
- Tick the checkbox for EXPAND WIDGET TEMPLATE and find the rel=’nofollow’ code by pressing ctrl+F.
- Type it in the box and enter. To delete rel=’nofollow’ for backlinks, make sure you see this on your screen:
- Delete the highlighted
- For comments, delete rel=’nofollow’ in this code : <a expr:href=’data:comment.authorUrl’ rel=’nofollow’>
- Save template
For WordPress hosted blogs, there are plugins available to make it to DoFollow. Here are some examples:
You can also use these to reward your commentators :
Setting your site to a DoFollow has it’s advantages and disadvantages. If you are familiar with link building, you have to know these things if you want to follow the movement.
- Bloggers who are aware of the DoFollow Movement usually loves to comment on DoFollow blogs. So, be ready in case you get too many comments to moderate.
- When you set your comments to a DoFollow, your commentators will get free backlinks to their sites.
- This is one way of thanking those who commented because they will also benefit from you.
- Great way to interact and exchange point of views from both sides
- You can search DoFollow blogs and ask the owners to include you site to their list of DoFollow blogs. This gives you also free backlinks to your site.
- There are DoFollow directories, Forums, Social Bookmarking Networks, Article Directories and Social Networks which you can add or submit your site for free.
- Creates free traffic for your site which can help your site to get rankings
- Getting lots of comments comes with an increase in spam. You will get a lot of these especially if you don’t moderate your comments. If you’re blogging on Blogger, your blog is set to a NoFollow by default. If you set it to a DoFollow, you need to activate moderation and not set it to automatic. If you’re on WordPress, you can also moderate the comments and use the Akismet plugin to help you combat spammers.
- If in case the spam gets through, you are giving the spammer link juice. Google doesn’t like that. So be careful of what you are allowing to be posted on your site.
- Apart from that, it doesn’t look good visiting a site full of spams with no relevance to the topic. Your site’s authority and integrity is compromised. You might want to put a warning on your would be commentators that you do not allow spamming and that their posts will be deleted.
- Linking your sites to spammers will greatly affect your site’s ranking
Weigh it and think of the pros and cons if after reading this post should you decide to be a DoFollow or remain a NoFollow. With these in mind, I’m sure you only want the best for your site.
40 thoughts on “What is a DoFollow?”
I just give up with my one and only blog, I haven’t much knowledge about do follow blogs but thanks to you. You make it very clear on how to have a do follow blog.
Thanks for sharing the details about do follow.. Keep up the good work! Post some more!
Nice information about do follow blogs. Thanks for sharing this blog.
Alaska Auto Shipping
I always wonder what is do follow and have tried searching it on google but I didn’t get as good explanation as this. Thanks for this.
thanks for sharing. I so like this Do follow plugin too although your correct many spammers tend to abuse this plugin. All my blogs are do follow too. hope you can drop by and leave some loving comment.
how do i do this using weebly?
aw sorry for the late reply. I don’t know how to use this with Weebly. Pls search Google and you’ll get many answers from there. Thanks!
Nice info.. I didn’t know it until I read this. Thanks for sharing..
Happy to know that I’ve helped you 🙂
Salamat, i hope i made it right =)
Please add my blog in the DoFollow list. I have just installed the DoFollow WordPress plugin in my blog. I have a self-hosted WordPress blog.
My blog is: http://www.americanmoneysolutions.com
By the way, I am Filipino.
Thanks a lot.
Checked your blog already and will be adding it to the list. Thanks 🙂
Hi jen (comment no 10),its ok,comment luv will not show your old blogger comment.You can moderate your comment luv from new post or for all post,then all of your comments made previously will not be shown by comment luv,but they will not be deleted and readers can see those in your particular post.Now you can moderate more specifically from blogger,they have added new feature in comments section.
Hi eihdra once again,hey have added my site in your do-follow list?Anyway I have a information from my blogger friend,the no-follow tag can be back after deleting those,he had a close notice for many site and its true.One more thing through firefox adon all the outgoing no-follow link will be marked red even your are do-follow.I have some more adon to search sites all information,you can check my blogger plugin page.Thanks anyway.Have a good night.
Your blog has been in that list since you asked me to include it. But haven’t seen my blog in yours (: Ok, will check your page.. Thanks
Just checked your blog..thanks for including my site again, though the last time I checked it wasn’t there 🙂
Will add your blog later in my blogroll for backlink 🙂
Spammers alright…the greet for traffic and link back is sure intense that people just post even not relevant to the subject. But i do enjoy the dofollow modification and moderating the comments make real sense to me. BTW your blog is already added to my newly started DOFOLLOW list. I would like to fill it with link lol.
Being a DoFollow has it’s pros and cons too.. For me though I’m getting lots of comments now, I’d still prefer to moderate so as not give link juice spill to spammers. Thanks for adding my blog to the list.. 🙂
i am really having a hard time configuring this one… i tried to add commentluv on my other blog http://iamjennyholic.blogspot.com but i guess i’ve done something wrong… the old comments from the default blogger comments are not showing… hmmm…
All comments must be moderated, Dara did not want to wake up with a blog spaming
I am already a Do Follow blog. My blog is under blogger, and my “comment” format I got from Intensedebate, and I do follow my blog, do I need to “moderation” too in my comments for me to avoid spamming? What will be your advice? Thanks! Or any suggestion? ^^
Though you’re already a DoFollow, I suggest to always moderate. You don’t want to give link love to spammers unknowingly 😉
I support do-follow, at wp I manually edit the no-follow comment, and remove all spammers, I was not very familiar w/ template code WP yet, I came fr. blogger.
You can activate Akismet to block your spam comments and use CommentLuv so your comments can be DoFollow. I came from Blogger too and it took me a week to get used to WP..Thanks
What is the weakness of do follow blog?
the spammy comments…
It’s nice information. I wanna change my blog setting to do follow
great..just take the precautionary measures seriously..thanks
Yup..I am using the Intense Debate system. It’s much better than the ordinary blogger one.
.-= Sourav´s last blog ..Future Kitchen Concept – Aion =-.
Whatever helps in combating spam will do..thanks..
love ur advice…now on dofollow;) love it here, feeling your honesty and selflessness. can we link?
i am right now wondering if i were able to link spammers. how do i know? my page rank suddenly dropped from 3 to 0, the reason why im thinking i was spammed.
can u help me?
.-= jenie=)´s last blog ..MUSIC MONDAY #5 – SOMEWHERE IN TIME WITH VOCALS/LYRICS =-.
Hi Jenie..We’re already linked. As for your PR..Analyze what you have done and state of your blog (if you can still recall) when you got the increase in PR and the changes you made when it was decreased. Honestly, if I may say so, I used to have lots of banners (affiliates or not) and images on my previous site in Blogger that got deleted eventually. If your images (ads- paid or not) doesn’t have the no follow tag, you can get penalized by Google in terms of a decrease in rankings plus you’re sharing link juice with those sites, spammers or not. I am no expert but I read a lot. One more advise, remove the nav bar..someone might get naughty and flag you..thanks
Hello. Everybody loves the link juice, so I have enabled the commentluv on my blogger blog. As you have said, it requires a lot of manual moderation to keep out the spams, as blogger doesn’t have any “spam blocker” widget. But the reward of sharing the link juice is good too.
.-= Sourav´s last blog ..SmartFaucet – Tap With A Touch Screen =-.
Hi Sourav..you may use Disqus for comment moderation, it will help you moderate comments better than the default of Blogger..Thanks..
It’s me again 🙂
I’ve bad experiences with my previous Indonesian dofollow blog. Google marked it as splog. Maybe it was because I didn’t put more strict policies regarding spam links.
But after reading this post I decided to enable it again on my new blog. Thanks for your suggestions on how to avoid those spams 🙂
.-= Mursalin´s last blog ..Buxplode Site Being Auctioned =-.
Hi Mursalin. Was your Indonesian blog also under Blogger or Blogspot domain? If it was flagged as splog, you may have violated their spam policies. Well, that’s one reason why I left and now at WP. Thou, I was blogging on my own domain but Blogger was hosting it, they were able to delete it. Read this post Migrated from Blogger to WordPress
If you have enabled it make sure to follow precautions. Don’t forget also to backup your blog posts just to be sure..Thanks for reading